The below events are specific to the DC chapter of Families for Safe Streets. See this listing for additional cross-country FSS events or check websites from Northern Virginia and Montgomery County chapters for other events in the region.
Advocacy opportunity: Submit your testimony for performance oversight
At the start of every year, the DC Council will hold performance oversight hearings for District agencies. DC-FSS members are encouraged to submit personal testimony (live or written!) to note your support for safe streets and areas for improvement. The following agencies/dates may be of interest:
- Wednesday, February 7, 2024: Department of Public Works (link)
- Friday, February 9, 2024: District Department of Transportation (link)
- Tuesday, February 13, 2024: Office of Risk Management (link)
- Friday, February 16, 2024: Deputy Mayor for Operations and Infrastructure (link)
The above schedule may change. See full schedule here.
Please don’t hesitate to contact us at DCFamiliesForSafeStreets [at] gmail.com if you’d like to collaborate with steering committee members on DC-FSS’s organizational testimonies, or if you’d wish to work with someone to brainstorm or copyedit your personal testimony. Many councilmembers have also set up their own forms to gather constituent input! Don’t hesitate to check their websites if an online form or meeting has been set up in your neighborhood.
Second Council vote on the STEER Act
Tuesday, February 6, 2024
The Council is expected to hold its second vote on the Strengthening Traffic Enforcement, Education, and Responsibility (“STEER”) Amendment Act of 2023 in early February. Exact date TBA. We encourage members to reach out to encourage your councilmembers to vote to support and/or to say “thank you!”
Ward 5 Family Biking: “Be My Cupcake” Ride
Saturday, February 10, 2024 from 10:30am to 12:30pm
Join Ward 5 families for the Be My Cupcake family bike ride. Meet at Dwight Mosley Playground (corner of 20th and Otis Streets NE). Ride ends at Metrobar. All ages and abilities welcome. Learn more from Ward 5 Family Biking.
Hill Family Biking: Community-Clean Up Ride
Saturday, February 24, 2024 from 10:30am to 12:00pm
Join Hill Family Biking and bring your work gloves. We’ll ride to three locations hosted by ANC commissioners to beautiful our neighborhood! Learn more and RSVP with Hill Family Biking.
GW Hospital: Virtual Trauma Survivors Group
NOTE date change: Monday, February 26, 2024 from 6:30pm to 8:00pm via Zoom
This virtual meeting hosted by the George Washington University Hospital is open to all trauma survivors, family members, and loved ones. It is a space where individuals who have experienced traumatic injury can connect with others who have experienced similar circumstances.
Contact us at DCFamiliesForSafeStreets [at] gmail.com for the Zoom link.
DC Families for Safe Streets Monthly Meeting
Tuesday, February 27, 2024 at 7pm via Zoom
Join the DC chapter of Families for Safe Streets for its monthly meeting over Zoom. Topics of discussion will be posted closer to meeting date.
Contact us at DCFamiliesForSafeStreets [at] gmail.com for the Zoom link or to request discussion topics.
- Many of us have been directly affected by traffic crashes, either experiencing it ourselves or through the tragic loss or injury of a friend or loved one. May 13-15, 2024, the National Safety Council, the Road to Zero Coalition, Families for Safe Streets and Stop Distractions are coming together in Washington, DC to share these personal stories with federal policymakers to help them understand the importance of road safety to save lives. If you’d like to participate, you can RSVP here to join other safety advocates in this effort to share our vision to reach zero.